Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default holding power of metal vs wood studs

"fftt" wrote in message
On May 7, 6:41 am, "Joe" wrote:
I'm mounting some shelving (channel and bracket) into a wall with metal
studs, which I've never done before.

what is the difference in holding power of metal vs wood studs? are
different screws recommended? or should I use toggle bolts in the drywall?

tia,

jc

It depends on the thickness (gage) of the steel stud material. Heavy
gage (16 ga or better) steel studs are very strong & I would trust
them to hold a screw quite well.

Lighter gage (like 30ga) steel studs can be kinda wimpy.

I would suggest sheet metal screws of minimum size of #10 and a
coarser thread. Drill hole in the stud flange just slightly smaller
than the screw root diameter. A smaller hole will allow the screw to
"upset" the stud material and form somewhat around the screw, This
will give better screw holding behavior.

Molly toggle bolts are another way to attach to (through) steel studs
or to the drywall but I find them somewhat of a PITA to install and
require huge holes. Additionally removal means losing the toggle.

How strong are the shelving channels? How heavily are the shelves
going to be loaded?

cheers
Bob

Bob,

Thanks. The shelving chanels are the double row type. I'm going to assume
worst case for the load (books).

jc