Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default High voltage safety precautions

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Bob Larter wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
My classic screwup was a time, as a smartarse teenager, when I was
working on a 28" display monitor, & /thought/ I'd discharged the CRT
correctly via the ultor cap. I lifted the ultor cap to unhook it, & a
giant spark bit me. The shock threw me clear across the room, & I just
missed slamming into a bench.

This explains a lot! ;-)

I suppose you've never zapped yourself? ;^)

Not like that. The HV I worked with wasn't measured in micro amps.
It was inside the TV transmitter. One touch, and you're dead. Think
what a HV DC power supply for three 65 KW Klystrons would do to you,
when the power supply put out a continuous 195 KW. In fact, you
wouldn't even need to touch it.

Scares the crap out of me just thinking about it! I've only ever worked
consumer electronics, never had any training on high voltage / high
frequency power circuits.

I once got shocked by a GE 35" tv by only getting near the anode wire. The
wire had cracks in it, and I didn't know until it was too late. Felt like it
took my arm off!

More than once grazed some skin across 120 volts AC whilst working on
equipment; never got much more than a "Huh? What was that? Oh, crap. Gotta
be more careful..."

Mark Z.