Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Doors and Out of Plumb Walls

Phisherman wrote in
:

I have installed a few. Pre-hung doors are fairly straightforward. I
make my own wooden shims from the scrap pile, after seeing what they
cost. Rough framing is rarely square and plumb. And walls are
bowed or sunken, a challenge when installing crown molding. I am
currently fixing a door jamb so the trim can be installed properly.
Jobs usually take longer than you might think, and when it's my house
I'll fuss with it until it is right. If a door (or drawer) does not
open/close sweetly, you'll be reminded every time you use it.

I was in a motel one time where the bathroom door shut sweetly. I've
never seen it before, and unfortunately will probably never see it again.
The door simply shut quietly, and with a little reveal all around. It
really didn't need the trim stop piece in the middle, the fit was so
perfect.

We've got a prehung door in the house now that is less than a year old
that's already having trouble shutting. Either it wasn't installed
straight enough or the hinges were insufficient for the load.

Puckdropper
--
This signature was typed manually.