Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default holding power of metal vs wood studs

wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 13:41:39 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

I'm mounting some shelving (channel and bracket) into a wall with
metal studs, which I've never done before.

what is the difference in holding power of metal vs wood studs? are
different screws recommended? or should I use toggle bolts in the
drywall?

Usually if a builder knows they are hanging something they will put
wood blocking behind steel studs because they are not particularly
good for hanging things on.
The moly bolt idea is probably better than sheet metal screws but be
careful drilling. If you hit a piece of Romex you could end up with
shelf brackets with 120 volts on them. Steel studs are not
bonded/grounded unless you live in Florida and you have a new house
(2007+)

If there are metal boxes attached to the metal studs, the studs will, by
being in physical contact, be grounded. If you have plastic boxes, they will
not be grounded. One of the many reasons that I do not like plastic boxes.