Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie charlie is offline

Default Doors and Out of Plumb Walls

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
In the past decade, the Nashville area has had a housing boom, probably
rivaled only by Las Vegas. I don't know if it's the fact that Nashville
has become a sanctuary city for illegals and the State turns a blind eye
to their hiring, or the houses are just going up too darn fast and
builders don't care about quality or a combination of those factors, but
I've run across some ridiculous gaffs in half million dollar homes
around here.

A friend wanted to separate a second story (third, if you count the
dug-out garage/basement at ground level) master suite into two bedrooms
(as per the original home plans-- first owner left out the wall to make
one huge suite). No big deal, I go in and build a simple 14-or-so foot
stud wall and lift into place.

My helper and I lift the wall up and discover a gap you could fit a 2x4
in sideways at the top of the wall, where it t-bones the exterior
load-bearing wall. That's right, the wall is leaning out at the top,
3-1/2 inches. You don't even need a 4' level to see something like
that. I'm wondering how no one caught this.

We go outside to look at the wall from the exterior... it's brick. I
look straight up the wall, from the garage door opening, and can see
each row of bricks is sitting out further than the next, by at least 1/8
inch. The wall looks like a little staircase with tiny steps going in
reverse, up the entire wall.

--

-MIKE-

that's a design feature, not a bug