Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default Cylinder head question

"stryped" wrote in message
I have some replacement heads out of a junkyard. I am wanting to
repair this vehicle as cheaply as possible. The heads are rough
looking, rust inside the valve and everything. I will say that I
filled up the intake ports with cleaner and it held overnight. (Paint
thinner).

Someone told me if I take the valves out to clean everything, It might
not seal right when I put it back togther, and I could have a miss or
check engine light.

My origional intention was to take it apart to clean it and to lap the
valves. (And install new valve guides that came with my kit).

The guy at the salvage yard said they came off a motor with a lower
end knock. The heads were checked for flatness and are within .001.
They were taken off the motor a day or so before we got them.

I need to get this thign going cheaply. I am going to get rid of it.
SHould I leave the heads alone and just mount on the truck or take
apart, lap the valves, etc?

I know the "ideal" thing to do would be a valve job, tanked, etc, but
around her eit is alot of money and I plan to get rid of it.

Thanks for any advice!

1. I would just clean it up as best I could and put it together.

2. Although you could mark to valves and lap them and put them in the same
hole. Often people use the side of a card board box with holes showing valve
location or drill holes in a board.

3. I would think that if you changed the guides you would need to take it in
for a valve job. Since the guide hole may not be on center to the worn seat.

I would do number 1. It was running good before the lower end engine knock
and you are going to sell it anyway.

Richard W.