Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default High voltage safety precautions

JB wrote:
Two deathly dangers - one from actual electrical shock, one from
impaling yourself on something sharp when you jump from the shock and
bleed to death

My classic screwup was a time, as a smartarse teenager, when I was
working on a 28" display monitor, & /thought/ I'd discharged the CRT
correctly via the ultor cap. I lifted the ultor cap to unhook it, & a
giant spark bit me. The shock threw me clear across the room, & I just
missed slamming into a bench.

A good reason to find another line of work. Just remember, a live circuit
looks exactly like a dead circuit. Also HV caps can hold a charge enough to
bang you too. If you learned on tube gear, then maybe you know enough, but
LV circuits just don't have the urgency required to heighten your paranoia
for survivability. You essentially have to develop a checklist in your head
for each time you put a hand (only one) into the dead equipment and never
fail. Instructions are normally in the Service Manual of all HV equipment.

All good advice.