Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] craft.brian@gmail.com is offline

Default lcd power supply works when heated

On May 6, 5:38*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
wrote:
I thought that perhaps I could isolate it by heating or cooling parts
until the unit started or stopped working. I tried using a soldering
iron for heating, and canned air for cooling, but neither had a clear
effect. Is there any other technique I might use for heating or
cooling individual parts?

Holding the can upside down worked a bit better. :-p

So you got a result? What was it?

Sylvia.

Yes. Inverting the can gives a nice shot of cold liquid that rapidly
evaporates. I quickly found that cooling one of the smaller
electrolytics would switch off the power, so I'm fairly confident that
it's the culprit.

Unfortunately it's a low esr cap, and I haven't found a way to get one
to my door for less than 12 times the cost of the cap (due to minimum
shipping costs). It nearly eliminates the advantage of repairing the
supply.

I can get a non-esr replacement locally. Any guess how long that would
last?

The local shop only carries NTE parts. At first glance, I can't find
low esr caps in their catalog.