Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default wireing problem

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , "Paul Gilbert"
wrote:
I just purchased a 3/4 HP vacuum pump and would like to hard wire it up to
220V power. The shock came when the big box stores don't sell double pole
single throw (DPST) switches

Yes, they do. You're just not looking in the right place. Really.

I can always leave it at 120V, but there must be a better way! Anyone
know
where I can get a 220V switch for $15?

Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware, Tru-Value Hardware, Do-It-Best
Hardware... you get the idea, I'm sure.

Example:
http://www.lowes.
com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=70625-334-1245-1V-SP-L

Now I am a chemist, not an
electrician. I assume that I need a double pole switch. Is that correct?

That is correct.

actually, a single pole switch will work, but one side will stay live all
the time so a double pole single throw switch is preferred - widely
available - get a motor rated switch and do NOT go to radio shack for it.

for vac info, DL the article from my web page - it will give you some hints