Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ri.ar.buege@att.net is offline

Default Lathes

On May 6, 11:56*am, steamer wrote:
Ignoramus6670 wrote:
This is the same "birmingham lathe" that everyone else is selling,
they will put on a reseller's brand sticker on them to make them a
separate brand. This one bears "PrecisionMatthews" sticker.

* * * * --Aha! Had a feeling.

They are supposed to be not so bad.

* * * * --Hmmm. I think I want something a wee bit better. Got any
recommendations?

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Imagine what I could do if
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *I knew what I was doing...

My take, Ed. Any import machine, some work to make it perform is
going to be needed. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the
color and name on it, and if the dealer will stand behind it. Here is
why I stick with Grizzly, I have had some issues, but every one taken
care of with one phone call. They seem to really want to get to the
bottom of any problems and get them fixed as fast as possible. My 12
x 36 is seventeen years old, I've had to buy another motor, and had a
few minor problems over many years, but if I'd get my butt down and
put a new centrifugal switch in the motor, it would still be running
strong and accurate.

(Screw it.) Lennie.