Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to Remove Ceiling Tile

Marissa Taylor wrote:
I have basement ceiling tiles that are about 12 inches square, without
any visible border between them. Due to a potential leak above one, I
need to remove a tile. How can I do this safely?

I can't tell what holds the tiles in place. The tile is made out of a
white fiber-like substance, with lots of holes, most likely to absorb
sound. Can I just pry around the edges?

Thanks!

You ain't gonna like the answer. You start at a wall, remove the trim to
expose one edge of tile, and start working backward. Hopefully you guess
right the first time and expose the lip with the staples or tacks or
whatever. Lotsa luck finding matching tiles if you break any- that stuff
is getting rare. Most people end up tearing it all down in frustration,
and putting up something else.

--
aem sends...