Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Surge protectors in series

bud-- wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
bud-- wrote:
ransley wrote:

I stumbled across the instructions for one the 2 plug-in suppressors I
use. It says:
"All Belkin Surge Protectors must be plugged directly into a properly
wired AC power line ... and must not be 'daisy-chained' together in
serial fashion with other power strips, UPSes, other surge protectors,
... or extension cords."

Perhaps ransley could find where Tripp Lite says in writing plug-in
suppressors can be daisy chained. I didn't think phone techs were held
in high regard.

I believe one could get into trouble daisy chaining. I wish I could see
diagrams to understand what could go wrong.

Years ago, I was impressed with the argument at the website of an
English manufacturer (Zero Surge?) that if your phone ground electrode
wasn't bonded to your power ground electrode, it was safer not to plug
your phone line into your point-of-use protector. That's the kind of
thing where a diagram would refresh my memory.

In the 80s, my BIL kept having to send his modems in to have the
lightning-protection fuses replaced. He was using a Radio Shack
gas-tube protector for his phone line. Finally, the modem manufacturer
told him to get a better protector. He got a Tripp Lite and had no more
trouble. The threshold of the gas tubes was too high to protect the
modem fuses.

(Incidently I like Tripp Lite as a brand.)

Results may not be predictable when using 2 suppressors in series.
Take the example in the IEEE guide
http://www.mikeholt.com/files/PDF/LightningGuide_FINALpublishedversion_May051.pdf

starting pdf page 40. There is as surge coming in on the cable
service. Because the “ground” wire from the cable entry block to the
system ground at the power service is far too long (30 feet) there is
10,000V between the power ground and the cable ground. That appears
at TVs connected to both power and cable. The example shows how a
plug-in suppressor protects connected equipment.

I started at page 40 but couldn't find a diagram of what you're
talking about. I will agree that there can be pitfalls when a system
is connected to more than one ground.

The example in the IEEE guide, pdf page 40, document page 31, "4.1
Ground Potential Rise within a Building".

Ahh! I was starting at document page 40.

That example uses a TV plugged into a different outlet from the cable
protector. Wouldn't it be better to plug the TV into an extension cord
daisy chained with the cable protector?