Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Surge protectors in series

E Z Peaces wrote:
bud-- wrote:
ransley wrote:
On May 4, 9:48 am, bud-- wrote:
ransley wrote:
On May 4, 12:49 am, bud-- wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
If two surge protectors are connected in series, is the amount of
surge protection available at the down-stream protector
approximately
equal to the sum of the two individual protections??
Outlet strips are not intended by anyone, including UL, to be
connected
in series.
Which protector does the protecting depends on which MOV clamps at a
lower voltage. Voltage ratings, like 330V, are UL categories and
cover a
wide range. Even MOVs with the same part number that are not from the
same batch would not likely have identical clamp characteristics. The
upstream or downstream protector may initially do the clamping or
it may
be partially or evenly shared.
You would probably get a combined Joule rating equal to the sum of
the
individual ratings. If the clamping was actually evenly shared the
combined cumulative rating would be higher than the sum of the
individual ratings.
IMHO loads should only be connected to the downstream protector.
I recommend not connecting in series. Suppressors with very high
ratings
are readily available at relatively low cost.
And all interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same
plug-in suppressor, or interconnecting wires need to go through the
suppressor. External connections, like phone, also need to go through
the suppressor. Connecting all wiring through the suppressor prevents
damaging voltages between power and signal wires.
--
bud--
Tell that to Tripp Lite, they sell one of the best units made. In fact

I presume it is that suppressors shouldn't be connected in series.
From
the UL White Book:
"Relocatable power taps [power strips, which plug-in suppressors are a
variation of] are not intended to be series connected (daisy
chained) to
other relocatable power taps or to extension cords."

--
bud--

Again tell that to Tripp Lite. Some of Trips units with multiple
outlets have increased protection for each outlet as you move away
from the power cord, daisy chaining is only like a strip with
additional outlets. Stick your UL book and learn, call Tripp, mr UL
book.

It is refreshing to know that a phone tech at Tripp Lite is smarter
that UL.

I stumbled across the instructions for one the 2 plug-in suppressors I
use. It says:
"All Belkin Surge Protectors must be plugged directly into a properly
wired AC power line ... and must not be 'daisy-chained' together in
serial fashion with other power strips, UPSes, other surge protectors,
.... or extension cords."

Perhaps ransley could find where Tripp Lite says in writing plug-in
suppressors can be daisy chained. I didn't think phone techs were held
in high regard.

(Incidently I like Tripp Lite as a brand.)

Results may not be predictable when using 2 suppressors in series.
Take the example in the IEEE guide
http://www.mikeholt.com/files/PDF/LightningGuide_FINALpublishedversion_May051.pdf

starting pdf page 40. There is as surge coming in on the cable
service. Because the “ground” wire from the cable entry block to the
system ground at the power service is far too long (30 feet) there is
10,000V between the power ground and the cable ground. That appears at
TVs connected to both power and cable. The example shows how a plug-in
suppressor protects connected equipment.

Now use 2 suppressors connected in series with the 2nd connected to
the TV and the cable going through the 2nd. There will be a current
through cable sheath and power ground wire which lifts the ground at
the suppressors away from the ground at the power service (as is
clearly indicated in the IEEE example). That lifts the ground at the
suppressors from the hot and neutral so the MOVs will limit the
voltage H-G, N-G. If the only MOVs that conduct are in the 1st
suppressor you will have the ground wire in the line cord to the 2nd
suppressor (maybe 6 feet) separating the power ground reference and
the cable ground reference. The voltage drop over 6 feet of the ground
wire from the cable entry ground block to the power service is 2,000V.
It will be far lower in the line cord but will add to the difference
in voltage between the power and cable wires going to the TV. Is that
a problem? Who knows - but I would rather not run the science project.

Multiple MOVs in a single suppressor do not have 6 feet between them.

Since suppressors with high ratings are readily and cheaply available
I don’t see a good reason to connect suppressors is series (except
maybe to connect a UPS with relatively low ratings downstream from a
high rated plug-in suppressor).

I started at page 40 but couldn't find a diagram of what you're talking
about. I will agree that there can be pitfalls when a system is
connected to more than one ground.

The example in the IEEE guide, pdf page 40, document page 31, "4.1
Ground Potential Rise within a Building".

--
bud--