Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Some wadding for rcw's life support. (deliberately long)

In message
,
robo hippy writes
Best payment I ever got.... I got 2 walnut trees about 2 years ago.
The Woman really loved her trees, but they died and had to come down.
A friend of a friend is a friend of mine, and his chainsaw wasn't big
enough. "Is yours big enough?" Darn tootin! Well, I gave her a bunch
of bowls for Chistmas for her, her kids and grandkids. When she saw
them, she did little girl squeels of delight, was bouncing up and
down, tears started rolling down her cheeks, and she had to give me
several big hugs. Best payment I ever got.
robo hippy

Last year I helped neighbours cut up a Wild Cherry stump. It was over
2ft wide, and wrapped various pockets of soil/chalk/flint, the grain was
going everywhere. Chainsaw had no chance so it was Axe Wedges etc. to
split it to manageable pieces

I was able to salvage a few pieces for turning and made them a basic
bowl. The wood was very wet when turned, and the smell of Morello filled
the shop. Over the last 6 months they have enjoyed watching it as it
dries, distort twist. They had never realised how much life their was in
a dead piece of wood
--
John