Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PaulS PaulS is offline

Default plow design

On May 5, 10:27*pm, (dan) wrote:
I would like to make a small plow to break up the sod at the edge of a
dirt road that I am trying to grade and crown. *I have been using a
homemade King road drag with good results. *But the road needs
widening in many places, but the drag will not bite into the
grass/weed shoulder. *I am using my Jeep to haul the drag and would
like to do the same with some kind of plow. *I'm working alone, so it
would need to follow behind the direction of pull without guidance.
I don't need to turn over a furrow, just cut the sod and break up *the
soil a little.

I have a bunch of scrap steel to work with:
lots of 3 in. channel and 5 in channel.
lots of 5 in. square tube- .093 wall.
some heavy 3 in angle.
lots of 1 in. square tube- .062 wall
some 1.5 in square tube -.062 wall
lots of *1.0x1/8 in. flat bar.

I can get anything else through work.

Thanks.

--

Dan H.

Hi Dan,

Sorry I can not offer any help re making a plow.

Perhaps renting/borrow a rototiller may work for your sod areas? If
you are on Long Island I'd offer you use of my Toro rototiller
attachement for my wheel horse garden tractor. Sometimes when I just
want to scrape off the grass on an area I set it up to only make a 1-
inch or so deep cut over the area. Rake the grass roots out and it's
done. Works a treat making new garden areas out of useless lawn ;-).

Can you tell me more though how you made your King road drag?

Did you use real split log, or regular lumber like 2x6's? Add a metal
blade to it?
Do you run it at a 45-deg angle, or some other angle?

I was under the impression that one needed to "ride" the drag,
controling the cut with your weight by moving back and forth on the
drag. You state however that you run it alone. How does that work?

Do you run it on a dry or wet surface? How many passes do you use?
Any advice for someone who wants to build and use a drag on his rutted
dirt road?

Thanks for any answer and good luck with the plow.

Best regards,

--

Paul Schiller