Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default Antique lathe

On May 2, 9:59�am, "Dave August" wrote:
Glad this post came up..

In the near future I'll be helping a neighbor dispose of her Husbands
estate, there's a pair of Goodell-Pratts in reasonable shape... One's more
full featured than the other... what's an honest price for them...

--.- Dave

Dave

When this situation comes up I do this. I ask the seller to set a
price they are comfortable with so I can take the item and they will
have no regrets. Only once have I declined in the last 40 years fo
buying and selling. Yes sometimes it is too high and sometimes it is
too low but I have never lost any friendships over it and this is the
most important. Should you decline they will have the chance to
reconsider and that will be OK also. Most of the time in estate sales
there is someone grieving and you will find this out while dealing
with the family. You will regret forever taking a person while they
are down.

Also sitting down and talking with the family is perhaps what they
really want. In this case perhaps they want the lathe to go to a good
place and not to a buyer who could care less about the lathe and the
family.

Bob AZ