Posted to alt.home.repair
trag trag is offline

Default WhirlPool Refrigerator Shelf Stud Retention?

Joe wrote:
On May 4, 3:14 pm, trag wrote:
The front right shelf support stud, which supports the top crisper and
bottom shelf, broke on our twelve-year-old ED25TQXEW00
refrigerator.

Anyway, I rotated the old one a bit getting it out. But I don't see
anything broken in the hole, and the old stud has a gray substance on
the tip and shaft which sure looks like some kind of adhesive.

So how do I insert the new stud so that it will stay? I'm
considering using a quick setting epoxy (quick setting to counteract
the cold environment) but I fear going that route, because if I'm
wrong, removing the epoxy would probably be a nightmare.

Use a regular slow setting epoxy (with no load on the stud) and don't
worry about the cure. Regardless of temperature, it will cure. It may
take a couple of days so be patient.Several times I have tried to save
a batch of mixed epoxy when I overestimated what I needed. In a
freezer it was only good for 3 or 4 days. HTH

Thanks, Joe. I'll give that a try.

Jeff