Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default wireing problem

In article ,
Dan wrote:

In article ,
"Paul Gilbert" wrote:

I just purchased a 3/4 HP vacuum pump and would like to hard wire it up to
220V power. The shock came when the big box stores don't sell double pole
single throw (DPST) switches and Grainger's motor starters start over $100.
I can always leave it at 120V, but there must be a better way! Anyone know
where I can get a 220V switch for $15? Now I am a chemist, not an
electrician. I assume that I need a double pole switch. Is that correct?

DPST 250V returns plenty of options (google search)

Not the cheapest, but with good motor ratings well above what you want to run
(safety factor)

http://www.pressureparts.com/Pressure-Part-337205.aspx

Cheaper by far, and adequate for your horsepower rating (beware of link wrap):

http://www.newark.com/arcolectric-sw...pst/dp/92B3802

DPDT 250V adds a few more - you can ignore the second throw.

250 tends to be the rated voltage, rather than 220, so that may help your
search.