Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default plow design

On Wed, 06 May 2009 02:27:01 GMT, the infamous (dan)
scrawled the following:

I would like to make a small plow to break up the sod at the edge of a
dirt road that I am trying to grade and crown. I have been using a
homemade King road drag with good results. But the road needs
widening in many places, but the drag will not bite into the
grass/weed shoulder. I am using my Jeep to haul the drag and would
like to do the same with some kind of plow. I'm working alone, so it
would need to follow behind the direction of pull without guidance.
I don't need to turn over a furrow, just cut the sod and break up the
soil a little.

I have a bunch of scrap steel to work with:
lots of 3 in. channel and 5 in channel.
lots of 5 in. square tube- .093 wall.
some heavy 3 in angle.
lots of 1 in. square tube- .062 wall
some 1.5 in square tube -.062 wall
lots of 1.0x1/8 in. flat bar.

I can get anything else through work.

How about a modified hula hoe? I used one at a client's house the
other day and they work great for top scavenging.

Put yours on the right side of the drag (3-point hitch for stability,
not single) to catch the shoulder sod.

Reinforce a double-width of the 1" flat bar and stick it on the
outside of the drag. Sharpen the bottom, cutting edge a bit.
__
/||\\\\
reinforcement //|| \\
top & forward // || \\
// || \\
| rear view of drag || \\
new hoe edge

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.