Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Have you lost your marbles? Was: Storing Psint?

" wrote in
m:

jeff_wisnia wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Don wrote:

I've never been happy with the way paint stores over a period of
years.

Whenever I buy paint and store it, I'm always very meticulous about
sealing the can, as well as wiping the lid and the groove for the
lid. It seems like no matter what I do, paint always seems to
eventually rust in the can or just plain dry up. I guess there's
nothing that can be done about the "skin" that forms.

Does anyone have any new or different ideas or some creative ways
to store paint for the long term??

We used to use marbles to take up the volume in film developing
chemical bottles. Maybe they'll work for paint cans.

Get your marbles here. $1.50 (or less) per pound.

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/grou...yID=125&select
ion=29

I've heard about putting marbles in partially used bottles of wine,
but never bothered to try it.

However, I did buy a Vacu Vin vacuum pump and several stoppers a
couple of years ago and it sure seems to work as advertised.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/.../blister.shtml

I'm not certain that a paint can would hold up to a hard vacuum even
if you could figure out how to put some kind of valve in a punched
hole to suck the air out through. I'm remembering the high school
physics demo involving steam in a capped off rectangular gallon can
collapsing the can when it condensed. G

Jeff

You can lay a layer of plastic wrap across the surface of the paint in
the can - it effectively seals off the paint from the air in the can.
Marbles? There are lots easier ways - old mayo jar comes to mind.
Very old cans of paint will probably rust away before they dry up,
esp. latex.

Sounds familiar. Open a 5gal bucket of mudd and what's on top?