Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default reversing my shopsmith

On Tue, 5 May 2009 9:31:06 -0500, Christopher Zona wrote
(in message
):

Never underestimate the flexibility of a ShopSmith. When you're
working in a garage shop and the wife still wants to put the car in
there in the winter, the ShopSmith works wonders.

With a little ingenuity, you can figure out how to hook up all sorts
of components, especially with the older units made in the fifties. I
have been able to connect a small band saw and a small 4" jointer to
mine.

yup. I have the bandsaw unit and use it a lot. I cut 2 holes in the housing
opposite the blade tension adjusting screw and the tension scale, so I can
take the blade tension off without removing the shell. Keeping the blade
slack while it is not in use is healthier for the blade and healthier for the
drive tires. I also got an excellent resaw blade from another company
(Wolf-something?). The SS resaw blade is a waste of time, money, and
otherwise good steel. I made an excellent rip fence for my bandsaw, and can
produce very good results when resawing anything that will fit on the saw. I
also cut a hole in the lower part of the bandsaw shell, so I can stick a
vaccuum hose in there, while doing a lot of resawing.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.