Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a cutting board

Unless you live the Amish life, you are eating mineral oil everyday.
It is sprayed on rice to stop dust, gel caps for pills are made from
it, hundreds of foods use it in their coatings. And it is available in
the pharmacy to be used as a stool softner taken straight.

It is one of the many amazing refined items we get from oil. It is
closest in structure to wax and in the industry is actually called
parifin oil in the trades.

On 2009-05-05, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Best to finish in Mineral oil. *

I disagree. *I know more about cooking than woodworking. *Yes,
traditionally, butcher blocks are treated with Mineral oil. *Do you want to
use a "petroleum" product around your food? *I don't.

I never used any oil on my 10"X10" cutting board for 12 yrs! *Yes, it
finally split and I discarded it. *Hey!! *That's 12 yrs. *I think I can
afford it. *You wanna invest in a 3'x3'x3' butcher block, ok. *Use some
mineral oil, if you want. *I'm not putting Shell oil in my bod. *Jes my
opinion. *

nb