Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default How to make a cutting board

"notbob" wrote in message
On 2009-05-05, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Best to finish in Mineral oil.

I disagree. I know more about cooking than woodworking. Yes,
traditionally, butcher blocks are treated with Mineral oil. Do you want
use a "petroleum" product around your food? I don't.

I never used any oil on my 10"X10" cutting board for 12 yrs! Yes, it
finally split and I discarded it. Hey!! That's 12 yrs. I think I can
afford it. You wanna invest in a 3'x3'x3' butcher block, ok. Use some
mineral oil, if you want. I'm not putting Shell oil in my bod. Jes my
opinion.

nb

Pharmaceutical grade, it is even used as a laxative. Perfectly safe.