Abe

Default General Int'l 25" double drum sander #15-250 -- opinions?

In article ,
says...
Can't comment on their sander (I have the Performax) but I did buy the
General International mortise. Chiwanese but supposedly under General's QC.
I found it to have a couple of minor problems which were easily solved and
it was a fair value.

I doubt I would purchase another General International product because of
the lack of support from General. Took over a two months to get a
replacement part since they don't stock any spares in Canada for the product
line (at least not last year).

Bob S.

Bob -- thanks. Support matters to me, too; should have included it in
the list of criteria that are important. Which Performax do you have?
Looking at their product line, the size that makes most sense to me is
one of the 22/44s, or something similar. As I mentioned in another
response, I'm worried the non-cantilevered 25" size of the General is
going to be too restrictive in the long run.

One thing that has put me off so far about Performax is the reviews on
Amazon's site. Though few complain about the quality of the machines,
an amazing number of people complain about shipping problems, in
particular about receiving damaged units or boxes with missing parts. I
wonder whether this is peculiar to Amazon (which from personal
experience delivers a lot of damaged merchandise, even books, if you use
the default shipping) or whether Performax itself doesn't do shipping
well. Crappy factory packaging or something like that. I suppose I
could buy one locally, but state sales tax really adds up. Any
thoughts?

Best,
Abe

--
Replace ONE with the numeral for return email.