Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rnrbrogan@yahoo.com is offline

Default How to make a cutting board

General consensus is to use a tight grain wood that will not promote
collection of food particles and oil in the ports. This would mean
that Oak and similar woods are out. Maple, cherry and similar woods
are in. Use a good water resistant glue. Also, if you are gluing up
slabs, jig up your drill press to allow a couple of dowels to be
driven through matching holes near each end (and center with larger
boards). I helped our son make a cutting board using dowel
reinforcement 15 to 18 years ago and it is still going strong. There
are lots of cutting board finishes available, but a couple of coats of
mineral oil every 6 months or so renews the look and provides a good
food-friendly finish. I have even given older boards a light pass
through the surface planer to clean up cuts and gougers.

The board the son and I made was laminated from several hardwoods
including Walnut, Cherry, and evil woods like Oak and Ash. Mom's
been using it for years and we are still alive; but thorough cleaning
and sealing are good.

RonB