Posted to rec.woodworking
Derek Lyons Derek Lyons is offline

Default How to make a cutting board

(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article ,
(Derek Lyons) wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article

, Sasha
wrote:
After having a doizen or so comercial cutting boards split and thrown
into trash I want to make my own. Can someone give me guidance how to
make it so it won't split, how to finish it, if it at all, etc. Most
important for me is it shoiuld be very durable as I don't want to make
it every month. I plan using maple to make it.

Make sure the wood is thoroughly dry, straight, and flat. Then use a
waterproof glue -- not merely water *resistant*. A urea-formaldehyde glue,
such as DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue, would be the best choice IMHO.

No, the first consideration for cutting board glues is whether or not
it is safe to use in contact with food. I can find no cite that the
glue above is FDA approved.

I guess you should have looked a little harder. The technical bulletin listed
at the manufacturer's web site specifically recommends it for use in cutting
boards.

http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00030201.pdf

If there is a cite for FDA approval in the bulletin, I can't find it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/