Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default stain or varnish or...

hr(bob) wrote:

I've done that hundreds of times, as have tens of thousands of
others. What was the problem?

It turned into a blotchy milky film, when I mentioned it to someone
at the local Woodcraft he said he'd seen similar results before. The
humidity wasn't high, I let the Minwax oil stain dry between
applications and let the last one sit for a couple of days before
putting on the Lawrence-McFadden poly. Of course with my generalized
woodworking ignorance there could well be other factors I'm unaware
of (that's usually a safe bet).

The easiest thing to do after sanding is painting, That way you have
no problems with the various absorption rates for the stain in the
different parts of the old wood.

If I didn't want the inherent beauty of wood visible I'd make stuff out of
plastic. I used a pre-stain too, and the stain looked fine until the poly
went on. Ah well, it's all educational, this one will be a lesson in
*re*-finishing. ;~)