Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a cutting board

On Mon, 04 May 2009 11:25:25 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

The wood boards really don't need a finish but I use BLO anyway just to
make them pretty. Yes, it wears off. Food safe? Yes when dry.

Tried & True makes a polymerized linseed oil with no driers. Completely
non-toxic. A chemist I know says he wouldn't trust the "safe when dry"
finishes if they were to come in contact with acidic foods, such as
tomatoes. I don't know if he's right or not, but with non-toxic finishes
out there, why take the chance?