Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default What I found under the ivy...

eden wrote:
I live in a small 1870s Victorian mid terrace cottage and the cupboard
with the mains electric/gas etc is just inside front wall. I removed
all the old ivy from the front of the house as I want it re-painted
inc lots of roots and trunks.

1. Under the ivy was 2 thick electric cables in brown although painted
over, going from my meter inside up to the eaves somewhere. The cable
clips have mostly deteriorated. Are these OK just to be left and
painted over again?

2. Also there is a newish looking green cable about 5mm thick which
appears to go from a socket on the inside (sited about 300mm above
floor level) through the wall and down into the earth below? Is this
an earth wire? and if so is it ok now exposed like this? When I bought
the house 12 years ago it wasnt earthed and I remember having to have
an electrician to do some work.

Also found some exposed gas pipes from fire to gas meter box outside -
anyone know if these are ok?

Are the brown cables still connected? Sounds like they might be part of
an overhead supply to the house. If they are before the supply reaches
the meter might be an idea to ask your electricity supply company to
inspect them.
Can you see what the green cable is connected to. Sounds like it
probably runs to an earthing rod. Ours is exposed but runs into a green
box on top of the earth rod.
I have seen plenty of exposed gas pipes running outside. Don't think it
is a problem unless where they are likely to get damaged.