Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Cutting a 3" cast iron pipe

wrote in message
On May 2, 8:26 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"Sac Dave" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..
I need to cut a 3" cast iron vent pipe to tie to a new PVC vent.

I am using a Milwaukee sawzall with a metal blade and it kept skidding
and wouldn't start the cut at the right place. I then used a 4-1/2"
angle grinder with a metal blade and cut a little notch and now I can
engage with the sawzall without skidding.

However after 15 minutes of cut I don't think I am making a significant
dent at all.

I used the same sawzall and cut through copper and EMT electrical
conduits like knife through butter. But this CI pipe I am not making
any
progress.

I can't use the angle grinder there is simply not enough room around
it.

I went to HD and they recommended a "grit iron" blade. Got that and it
seems to cut a little bit, but again after 15 minutes, I am not even
10%
through the pipe. The way I am going it would take 10 hours.

I remember seeing another blade named "ugly metal blade" I wonder if
that
would be better.

Is there a better way to do this?

I know a chain cutter may be used, but I want to avoid it. Part of the
reason I am cutting this is because the lower section was cut by a
plumber who used a chain cutter but created a vertical crack line and
now
I am trying to cut away all the damaged section.

Thanks,

MC

Ratchet cutter http://www.plumbingsupply.com/snapcutters.htmlRatchet
cutters would be best. If you have access all the way around the pipe a
cut off wheel in a peanut grinder.

Thanks but I cannot use this. I am trying to cut away a section that was
damaged by using a chain cutter. I need to cut it the old fashion way
instead of relying on it to break at the weak spot.

MC

if snapcutter is out, try lennox diamond blade for sawsall.

I found one at Lowes and bought it. That one did the trick and cut in about
10 minutes. Thanks!