Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray K Ray K is offline

Default Screens for gutter downspouts

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Ray K" wrote in message
Just about every screen for use at the input of a downspout has a very
fine mesh, perhaps blocking debris as small as 1/8", even though such
small stuff would pass harmlessly through a typical 2x3" downspout. This
causes the screen to clog, preventing the gutters from draining and
causing them to overflow.

It seems a better design would be something like in kitchen sink drains
use: a large cross that blocks only the stuff big enough to potentially
cause a downstream blockage.

Thanks for your comments.

Ray

The ones I use are sort of pear shaped and made from wire, not screen. They
catch leaves and pine needles, but not fine silt. You just place them into
the downspout inside the gutter.

Same item, but look at the price difference at these two places
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-65696/Detail
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...ut-screen.html

This is cheap enough
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-20859/Detail

Ed,

Thanks for the tip on those wedges. I'll give them a try. The second
link, that sells them for $12.99 for two, might actually be cheaper than
the first one, which may be selling only one for $4.61.

After writing the above, I checked the two sites for shipping. The $4.61
site charges $8.99 to ship it, for a total of $13.60. The $12.99 site
charges $5.99 for shipping, for a total of $18.98. So assuming that the
first site is selling just one, it is much more expensive that the
second site which works out to $9.49 each.

Considering how widely distributed Frost King products are, I'm
surprised that neither HD or Lowe's shows the Wedge on their websites.