Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Screens for gutter downspouts

A few years ago I saw a device that you put in as a section of the downspout
and it was suppose to direct debris out thru an opening in the side while
letting water fall on down the spout. It had an opening that faced the
outside away from the house angled screen inside. The idea was that the
leaves, twigs, etc. would fall down the spout and hit the angled screen that
would direct them out thru the opening. The water would fall straight on
down thru the screen.

Anyone recall ever seeing one of these?

Mark

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Ray K" wrote in message
Just about every screen for use at the input of a downspout has a
very fine mesh, perhaps blocking debris as small as 1/8", even though
such small stuff would pass harmlessly through a typical 2x3"
downspout. This causes the screen to clog, preventing the gutters
from draining and causing them to overflow.

It seems a better design would be something like in kitchen sink
drains use: a large cross that blocks only the stuff big enough to
potentially cause a downstream blockage.

Thanks for your comments.

Ray

The ones I use are sort of pear shaped and made from wire, not screen.
They catch leaves and pine needles, but not fine silt. You just place
them into the downspout inside the gutter.

Same item, but look at the price difference at these two places
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-65696/Detail
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...27536-wedge-do
wnspout-screen.html

Anyone ever use one of these wedges?