Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default did I do a Bad Thing?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
I dug out some 14AWG THHN and rewired them. The original wire appeared
to be 16 or 18 AWG stranded cloth covered wire, just wrapped around the
screw terminals. The 14 wouldn't fit under the terminals neatly, but
after tinning them with solder and treating them like solid wire they
worked perfectly.

So now I have light in my living room, which is nice and functional, but
they look awful enough that perhaps now she'll get serious about picking
out some permanent sconces

What you did is fine, but there is an easier way. Put a light on a timer. I
even have an X-10 setup so I can turn on a couple of lights from my car if
we come home after the timer shuts them all off.