Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hat@uark.edu is offline

Default Remove exterior wall studs from stuccoed wall?

On May 3, 1:40*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/2/2009 7:15 PM spake thus:

I had similar termite problems both in the garage and in the kitchen
(I discovered them right after I bought the house -- inspection was a
fraud!). *I fixed them (myself) by first removing the sheetrock and
then removing the infected potions of the studs as high as needed.

[...]

I must say that in both jobs, I did not find it necessary to remove or
damage any of the stucco.

Interesting, but I'm wondering how you secured the new framing to the
stucco. Did you just nail the stucco to the studs from the outside?
Seems like a good chance of cracking the stucco that way. (I suppose you
could drive screws instead.)

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

-----------------
The job was done in 2004 and as of 2009 there is no sign of stucco
problems. The trick was that the new framing was done soooooo tight
that it did not allow sagging (this is done by using slightly
oversized studs, inserting them in the cavity at an angle, and then
hammering them into vertical position). I must add that the stucco had
a styrfom (sp?) backing (1-1/2" thick) and that could be a factor.
Another factor could be that the walls were not load-bearing. I may
also add that the studs I had to replace in the garage were supporting
an 8X12 front porche beam which I needed to brace very snuggly with
the new studs.