Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Pioneer plasma turns off: update

DaveC wrote:

What's happening to the power supply voltages when it shuts down? Are
there any error codes or does it just turn off? Once it's on and
running, can you turn it off then back on with the remote?

First time (ie, in the morning) it is turned on, it turns off after 5
seconds. "PD" (auto Power Down) LED lights on PS pcb. Power LED (on front
panel) flashes error code = 6. (A TV tech I e-mailed with says this is
frequently a PS failure code for Pioneer, but he does't have the exact
service manual for this model (PDP-V401) so cannot confirm.)

During error condition, must use mains switch to power off (which clears
error condition) and back on. Remote is ineffective while error condition
exists.

Once this is done, can then use remote to power it on and off all day. No
issues. Only after sitting off overnight will error condition occur again.

Do not know what voltages are doing when error condition occurs. I will guess
that they are OK, because I get a normal picture on the screen. It's a bit
time-consuming to do these V checks; I can only get an error condition once a
day ( x 5 voltages...)

Thanks.

Sounds like a bad cap in the delay timing circuit that detects valleys
in the voltage/Peaks in surge currents.
This normally shuts down the unit in the event of a voltage sage due
to an excessive unexpected load on the PS.

This problem would also cause it not to start properly if the main
caps are totally discharged and there for, is taking to long on the start
to charge them for what the current existing delay is at due to a faulty
cap in the delay protection circuit.

This cap is normally a small type. You may want to look into that.

It's a common problem is power supply protection in many of designs..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"