Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
RFI-EMI-GUY RFI-EMI-GUY is offline

Default Pioneer plasma turns off: update

DaveC wrote:
Pioneer plasma model PDP-V401. Original symptom: shut off after seconds or
minutes or hours of operation. Power LED blinked error code 6 (as best I can
determine the meaning of this code from Googling (I have no manual) this
means PS fault).

Replaced 16 electrolytic caps in the main PS that measured high ESR.

Now when first powered on after an overnight rest, it will shut off
immediately (stays on for maybe 5 seconds). After power cycling the main
switch (can't be done via remote -- must use the switch on the back), it will
run all day without problem.

All PS voltages are OK (factory sticker inside lists them); all are a few
tenths high (ie, 5v = 5.04).

What next step would you take in troubleshooting this PS?

Thanks.

Were any of the caps bulging? Perhaps electrolytic spilled on the
circuit traces causing a sneak path?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo ;-P