Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
DaveC DaveC is offline

Default Pioneer plasma turns off: update

I presume that when the remote is used, some monitoring circuit
detects an out-of-spec PS voltage immediately after power-on. Using
the mains switch removes power from even the monitor circuits and
clears the error code.

That's plausible. So how would you troubleshoot that?

There's a few connectors on the PS pcb that look like they be monitor and/or
control signals. I'll scope them and see what they do (tomorrow morning --
the next possible time for an error-inducing "cold" turn-on).

Next question -- Assuming this analysis is correct, why does the presumed
out-of-spec voltage -- or its detection -- NOT occur when there's a "hard"
power cycling?

I'm not sure it's due to a difference between the two power-on techniques. I
think it's just the fact that it is power cycled, period. Since the remote
control circuitry will not allow a power cycle until the error condition has
been cleared, the only way to power cycle is to use the mains switch. If
successive power-cycling were possible via the remote control, I think the
unit would power up and stay powered on. And I would not be asking for help.
If the only problem with the unit was that every time you turned it on for
the first time in the day you had to push the remote Power button twice, well
that would be a great day.

Also, I scoped the PS voltages.

http://i44.tinypic.com/rtzuyo.jpg

Is 0.5v noise excessive? Shown is 5v supply measured at test pin on PS pcb.
Others have similar noise except 139v: 12v (0.5v noise), 60v (0.5v noise),
139v (5.0v noise) 170v (0.5v noise).

I appreciate your thought-provoking questions.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group