Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Way OT and political, too

Douglas Johnson wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

not have to be the same process as US citizens. Except for a few, we have
failed to provide them any judicial process.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and more wrong. There have been formal military tribunals
in GTMO with counsel present to act exclusively in defense of the accused.
This is not something your arch-nemesis W invented. Military tribunals in
such circumstances have a long and studied history in the United States.
Again, a history book might be in order. Note that I'm not saying I love this
as a way to handle the problem, merely that it is lawful and has precedent.

You again presume ignorance on the people holding different views from you. You
weaken your arguments by such disrespect.

Not so intended and I apologize if I came across that way.

But first, the tribunals you discuss -- are they the ones that the Supreme Court
outlawed in 2006? Or the 11 planned or held military commissions since? We
still have 223 prisoners in limbo.

That's true, and like I said, secret tribunals are not my preferred mechanism.
(I'd prefer public military hearings followed by the death sentence for the
guilty with a publicly stated policy of feeding the remains to feral pigs
so that the convicted terrorist can spend eternity as pig excrement.)
But to listen to the Left, you'd think W had *invented* tribunals and it just
ain't so.

I've read far more than one history book. Tribunals, including the one that
convicted and hanged the Lincoln assassins lean towards expediency and away from
justice.

Be that as it may, they have legal standing and precedent.

-- Doug

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/