Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
uwe uwe is offline

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

uwe had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...mo-288720-.htm
:
We live in San Jose, CA and used 883 Therms last year. 487 Therms is
heating and 396 is cooking and hot water. (Dryer is electric). So for
cooking and hot water we use approx. 1 Therm per day. For heating we use
an average of 1.5 Therms per day (487 therms/365 days). Our HVAC is way
oversized with leaky ducts. With properly done airsealing and properly
installed insulation we should be able to reduce our gas consumption by at
least 50%-70%.

Our research and experience shows that homes that have gone through a home
performance contractor retrofit will cost between 10c to 20c per sqft to
heat and cool in Northern California. For a 2,000 sqft home the heating
and cooling bill would therefore run between $200 and $400 per year.(per
year NOT per month). For more information look at the California Building
Performance Contractors Association website.

www.cbpca.org

-------------------------------------
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coo wrote:

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline
costs
of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so
apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California
allows
(regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.

The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents
per
therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP
Surcharge).

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace
and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?

alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy - messages and counting!