Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hat@uark.edu is offline

Default Remove exterior wall studs from stuccoed wall?

On May 2, 2:43*pm, TomYoung wrote:
Hi:

I've got a couple of questions here but need to describe the situation
a bit.

I've got some pretty severe termite and dry rot problems around a tub
area. *The interior of the bathroom has been completely removed and
I'm looking at the studs on the exterior wall that forms the tub
area. *In a couple of areas the sole plate is completely gone and the
studs are just hanging from the top plate.

The exterior wall is stucco and, based on what I've read on the
Internet, I should also be looking at sheathing that's been nailed to
the exterior studs to provide a base for the building paper, spacers
and wire mesh to which the stucco is applied. *But I'm not.

What I'm seeing is the building paper and wire mesh and, in some
places where the building paper is gone, the "backside" of the
stucco. *No sheathing. *I assume this is some sort of alternate method
of applying stucco to an exterior wall. *Is that the case?

I can slightly rock the studs that have no sole plate from side to
side but no more. *I assume they're being held in place by the nails/
staples/whatever that were used to attach the building paper and wire
mesh to the studs.

What's the best way to remove these studs from the exterior wall
without damaging the stucco? *If the studs were nailed to sheathing
I'd be tempted to simply pry them loose but that seems risky given the
situation.

TIA.

Tom Young

--------------------------
I had similar termite problems both in the garage and in the kitchen
(I discovered them right after I bought the house -- inspection was a
fraud!). I fixed them (myself) by first removing the sheetrock and
then removing the infected potions of the studs as high as needed. I
used a skillsaw (be very careful) using a cutting depth slightly less
than the width of the stud to avoid nicking the blade. I ran the saw
at top of the infected portion of the stud and again about a fot
lower. I then used a hammer to gently dislodge that piece of the
stud. Once done, the lower part can be yanked out (be gentle) from
the baseboard. Next I removed the baseboard and started the reframing
starting with a new baseboard. You will need to sister the full studs
on both sides of the infected area, put a cross 2x4 to support what
remains of the infected studs (much like you frame a door opening).
Finally, you need to put short studs in the "door" opening to support
the cross 2X4 (you get the idea by now).

I must say that in both jobs, I did not find it necessary to remove or
damage any of the stucco.

By the way, I used treated pine for replacement, and I further treated
then with some termite-fighting chemical whaich can be bought from
specialty stores.