Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default My fix for chattering RTR tape

On 5/2/2009 1:47 AM spake thus:

If you're interested in trying it, you can send the tape to where I
work and I'll personally run it through the dehydrator. Reply directly
to my email if interested. I think Mark Z may be right about stuff on
the guides but in addition, I've seen a lot of sticky / chattering
tapes that have all been recovered with the bake. Further
contamination with lubricants that may react with the tape coatings
seems much more dicey to me - probably because I'm not a chemist. BTW,
not all the sticky tapes leave goop on the guides though _many do_.

All this talk about baking tapes makes me wonder: isn't there a danger
that the sticky goop will glue two layers of tape together? Or does the
baking de-goopify the stuff, making it adhere to the tape?

I believe it works, based on all the empirical evidence given here, but
it's a puzzle exactly *how* it works.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself