Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Way OT and political, too

Bill wrote:

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Like Bush really cared about the Constitution while taking away our rights
over the last 8 years
CC

Please name one right "Bush took away from us". I was no fan of W's,
but a lot of what gets blamed on him was either: a) Already set in
precedent courtesy of the insane "War On Drugs", "War On Poverty",
"War On Illiteracy", and so on (each of which gave the nosy Feds
more and more power over the individual) or b) A removal of "rights"
from foreign invaders, none of who have a legitimate claim to our
protections under civil or criminal law.

How about the suspension of Habeas Corpus or the expansion of the

Where this happened to US citizens, it was wrong (Hamdi). But this was
very much the exception situation. But foreign invaders do not have
Habeas rights. This is a fiction manufactured by the drooly left
because they refused to acknowledge terror attacks on our soil as
being military in their essence and wanted to treat them like
conventional legal/criminal problems.

Border Patrol's powers in the "Constitution-Free Zone"? I live more
than a thousand miles from Mexico, but I am subject to arbitrary stop
and search because I live in this zone. We don't need to go into the

You have always been subject to "search and seizure" when/if law
enforcement has probable cause. This is not new under W.

issue of torture, do we?

Not when people like you: a) Manufacture definitions of "torture" to suit
your political agenda, b) Ignore the many precedents in U.S. history
that have used forceful interrogations, and c) Insist on conferring
privileges to non-uniformed combatants that are not significantly
protected by any treaty to which the U.S. is party (to the point where
they are better protected than the U.S. citizenry).

I suppose that's not a violation of human
rights.

We are not obligated by any treat to extend "human rights" to people
who make war in plain clothes against our civilians. They fall in the
general category of spy or saboteur and even the Geneva Conventions
we've signed have almost no protections for such people. Again, the
legal/social contract that defines our nation is not available to
people who do not participate in it. You cannot come here wearing no
visible form of military clothing or markings, attack our citizens,
and then scream for habeas and other due process rights. Oh ... wait
.... yes you can, just ask a liberal who will do what they always do in
such situtions: apologize and make up "rights" out of thin air ...

Again I ask. What rights did YOU lose under W?
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/