Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Well Well revisited

On Fri, 01 May 2009 21:57:35 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I saw this on free.uk.diy.home and have x-posted it to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
I have now opened up the well in the back yard and ordered a pump. The
trouble was the well had a deck 8m down supporting an old pump with no way
a new pump could be lowered into the water from above. It seems it was
complete luck that my original weight on a string found its way through a
small crack to the water when I dangled it down through the little hole I
first drilled.

So the old pump had to come out. Luckily the pumping mechanism was still
partially intact with a steel rod reaching almost to the surface

Beautiful! :-)

We've got an old well-house out back and the visible part of the pit goes
down about 3m - to decades-old debris that's just been thrown down
there over the years.

It's on the to-do list to go digging and see how far down it goes at some
point, when I can motivate myself; I really don't know at the moment if
the debris layer is shallow and will just uncover an old well-head, or if
it's several metres thick...

cheers

Jules