Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Solar Garden Lights

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been looking at this site http://www.smartsolar.com/home
In the FAQ section is the following;

Q) I tried to charge my new light under a lamp and it does not work. What
should I do?

A) Our lights will not charge indoors under a lamp with artificial lighting.
They need to be placed outside in direct sunlight to charge. Before
packaging lights the batteries are tested and 30% charged. We recommend
placing allowing up to full 3 days of sunlight to fully charge the batteries
before initially using the light.

How does that work then? I thought light was light?

"Light" consists of a broad spectrum of frequencies some visible to the
human eye, some not. Artificial light tends to be narrower band than
sunlight and also photo voltaic cell in the garden lights will have
their own variation of power out for different frequencies.

An unrelated and useful bi product of this type of differing frequency
sensitivities in electronic devices is the ability of most digital
cameras being able to respond to the Infra red frequencies from remote
controls.
If you suspect your tv remote is not working, just view it through your
digital camera which effectively converts IR into visible light.

Ain't science wonderful!

Bob