Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to ground electric outlets over a slab?

On May 2, 4:10*am, bud-- wrote:
westom wrote:
On May 1, 12:19 pm, bud-- wrote:
As trader4 has shown, all of these "responsible" companies except
SquareD and Polyphaser make plug-in suppressors. Must be they aren't
"responsible" at all.

* Even I would sell someone a plug-in protector.

So now *w says his "responsible companies" aren't responsible at all.

LOL. And now we have Tom saying he'd actually sell someone a product
that he not only says is totally ineffective, but that he claims
actually CAUSES damage. At least we know a little more about his
ethics.

But what about SquareD. They don't sell plug-in suppressors but say
"electronic equipment may need additional protection by installing
plug-in [suppressors] at the point of use".

Of course, I too must claim no protection from
typically destructive surges.

Of course the "responsible companies" say their plug-in suppressors are
effective - trader4 showed that in a previous thread.

And still never answered - simple questions:
- Why do the only 2 examples of protection in the IEEE guide use plug-in
suppressors?
- Why does the NIST guide says plug-in suppressors are "the easiest
solution"?
- Why does the NIST guide say "One effective solution is to have the
consumer install" a multiport plug-in suppressor?
- How would a service panel suppressor provide any protection in the
IEEE example, pdf page 42?
- Why does the IEEE guide say for distant service points "the only
effective way of protecting the equipment is to use a multiport
[plug-in] protector"?
- Why did Martzloff say in his paper "One solution. illustrated in this
paper, is the insertion of a properly designed [multiport plug-in surge
suppressor]"?
- Why do your "responsible manufacturers" make plug-in suppressors?
- Why does "responsible" manufacturer SquareD says *"electronic
equipment may need additional protection by installing plug-in
[suppressors] at the point of use"?

And I'm still waiting for an answer to my simple question to Tom
posted months ago:

If plug-ins are incapable of any protection because they have no
direct earth ground, how is it that the same components used in plug-
in surge suppressors are typically used to provide surge protection
inside appliances and electronics? Tom himself claims that
protection inside appliances IS EFFECTIVE. So, how can that be? Is
there a mythical direct earth ground inside these appliances?

Also, I thought another excellent question raised by someone with
considerable insight a few months ago, deserves an answer:

If surge protection is impossible without a direct earth ground, how
is it that aircraft are protected from surges from nearby lightning or
direct strikes?