Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Which end of roof tv antenna toward station

On May 2, 1:23*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Jimw wrote:
I bought a used rooftop tv antenna at a garage sale so there are no
instructions. *I know how to mount it and connect the coax, but I do
not recall which end points toward the tv station transmitter.

I know the UHF elements are the smaller ones and the VHF are the
larger ones. *But which end goes toward the station? *Here is a crude
drawing (below).

* * * \\\\\\
--
* * * //////

You'd think there would be a diagram on the web, but I sure can not
find one. *They should mark it right on the antenna but they dont.

Jimw

Hi,
Basically, there are multi element on a boom. Shorter element side
should point to the station. Short element is called director, longer
one is called reflector. The more elements, the more gain.- Hide quoted text -

The more elements it has the more 'pointy' or directional the antenna
will be!
In other words, using a multi element antenna, if the antenna is
pointed directly at one station, another station, off say 30 degrees
to one side in direction, may not be received at all
If signals are weak an antenna with more elements generally has more
'gain' (From the ONE desired direction!).