Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default duty cycle on water valve

Hi All,

I have three water valves on the outside of my house.
Two for sprinklers and one for my house. They are down
about two feet at the bottom of a plastic pipe. The valve
handle is a rectangle about 1-1/2' long by about 1/2"
wide. It turns 1/4 turn on to off. I use a long
"T" shaped tool with a "U" at the bottom to turn
the valve handle on and off.

I turn the sprinkler values off at night when the
weather service says it is going to freeze at night
and off all winter.

Question: what is the duty cycle on these valves?
As in, should I not be turning them off and on
all the time? Am I going to eventually find myself with
a broken valve?

Many thanks,
-T