Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Memory Lane, slightly OT

On Apr 29, 10:44*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
How many of you have taken this road? *Those that have know what I'm talking
about.

Slide Rule, Marchant, Friden, Monroe, Curta, HP35, HP45, HP67, HP95, Wang,
IBM PC, DOS, *IBM XT, $395 for 64K Ram card, VisiCald, Wordstar * *
modern day PCs and CAD programs.

The above are approximately in order.
Just for fun, I did spend some time with a Soroban (same as Abacus minus one
bead) and could multiply and divide just about as fast as someone with a
hand-crank Monroe.

I think the slide rule should still be taught. *It sure gave use the ability
to estimate the order of magnitude of the answer. *Ask a kid today what 100
times 100 is. *No clue. *Something that's lost today.

Just an old fart reminiscing,

Ivan Vegvary

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Brings back LOTS of memories.