Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default Tub Surrounds

"DerbyDad03" wrote:
I'm not sure a taller unit will eliminate the paint issue. Now that
you mention it, I do have a little extra touch up to do above the unit
in my main bath when I repaint this summer.

My gut feeling is that regardless of how tall the unit is, you are
still going to get moisture on the wall above the unit which is going
to drip down and sit on the "ledge" atop the unit. I don't think it
has anything to do with direct shower water contact - I believe it's
condensation.

I guess you could make the argument that less wall above the unit
means less condensation to drip down, but I don't know if it will
eliminate the peeling paint.

Thanks DD, that is an interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of the
problem being a condensation issue, but it makes sense.

Jon