Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tub Surrounds

On Apr 30, 2:36*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote:
The more pieces the more future leaks. Bonding all the parts to the
substrate and to each other takes some skill and first class
materials. Done well, you could get reasonable service from the
installation, but IMO it is risky if you have teens in the household.
Shop carefully, as a premium price doesn't always equate to the best
project.

Thanks Joe, that's also what one of the designers suggested to me at the
store. *My problem is that my tub/tub area is a little shy of the 60 inches
in width, which is required to get the three-piece units I have seen.

I am also considering getting one that is taller than the common 60" tall..
I've seen some water issues on the paint directly above 60" tall surrounds,
so I am strongly considering one of the taller ones.

Right now I'm looking at the American Shower and Bath model 39454:

http://www.asbcorp.com/products3.asp?prod=144

It's tall (80"), and I am hoping it is going to be a little higher quality
than the cheaper units. *It's a little past my budget (the unit is $230,
before adhesives), but since it is going to be there for awhile, I think I
can justify the cost based on a long-term usage perspective.

I'm not really crazy about the style, and it's a five-piece, but that's
about all I'm able to come up with so far.

Jon

Regarding the shelfs and the edge of the tub: make sure you protect
them from metal cans like shaving cream, etc. The cans will leave a
rust ring that is next to impossible to remove. We have a plastic
container on one shelf and anything metal goes in there.